Thursday, September 27, 2012

Chicken soup for fathers soul

When it comes to father’s stories, though there are many little countless things our dads do for us, I always remember telling people about one or two which have touched me. My dad is a very loving and easy going person. And I most definitely share the strong father daughter bond with him.
This was one incidence during my 10th standard exams. Back then, I used to not like history at school. As a child and also as adult I was very hard working but had a family history of weak memory. With a subject like history that had so many date based events, I should have known better than to trust my memory at doing well in it. Still I promised my dad I would do well in the 10th final exams without help. Even after his constant checks I kept assuring him about my abilities.
Before the 10th exams we had a mini prep test called prelims. I cleared history with passing marks not flying colors which as you might have guessed would take me nowhere in the rat race for excellence. I freaked out.
My dad spoke to me that evening and sent out a letter to his company very next day morning requesting a straight 10 day leave to make sure it din’t come in the way of my education. Where job is so important and he was the only working member of family, he gave such a high priority to me. We studied day and night together like buddies over the course of those 10 days. He used a lot of tips and tricks and fun filled activities to help me remember the stuff. I never knew studying for such a high pressure (well at that time it was high pressure) exam would be so much fun. The father daughter time spent then was the one I would remember for lifetime. The exams went well and the results were a straight 100% marks in history, which was only otherwise possible in Math and Sciences. We both were so proud of each other that day :)

After this there have been many more things that he did, like not taking a foreign job offer 10 years back for my 12th and accompanying me to the exam hall every single time, even to the mall, teaching me ride my bicycle, my first two wheeler and the car. For any questions of what could I do for him, all he says is seeing your smile is the greatest gift I always have. As much as I can remember he was always there. Thanks to my study buddy, friend and advisor, my dad for showing confidence and nurturing my abilities to the best.


SDDesh

No comments: