Thursday, August 27, 2009

Chicken soup for teachers soul

Following My Footsteps

‘The best teachers teach from the heart, not from the book.’

About fifteen years back, I taught in a public school. The students belonged to various parts of the country and were from all levels of society.

I was the 4th grade teacher for science and maths. They were such a lovely set of children to be with. They were curious, asked endless questions and were eager to learn, which made teaching an absolute joy. I loved our lively discussions; they always made the lessons more interesting.

One of the girls in the class, Sapna, came from a poor family and I remember her as being a very hardworking and diligent child; eager to please, eager to learn.

She also happened to be handicapped. She had lost her fingers in a domestic accident while helping with daily chores.

One day, I happened to finish my class just before the lunch hour. I decided to stay back to go through my notes before heading to the staff-room. Suddenly, the solitary figure of Sapna caught my eye....

I watched her struggle with her lunch-box. When she finally managed to open it, she sat there, all alone at her bench, and ate. None of the other students approached her to give her company or to share their lunch. It was as if they didn’t notice her presence in their midst at all.

I realised that they were all probably apprehensive about her deformity and did not know how to deal with it. They thought she was different and didn’t know how to approach her.

I realised that a lecture would not shake my students out of their apathy, no matter how innocent or misplaced. It would be of no use explaining to them the error of their actions, but at the same time, I didn’t want them to shun the little girl, a fellow classmate, just because of her misfortune. But what could I do?

Then it came to me ... what if I taught by example?

As soon as this thought entered my head, I took my lunch-box, went and sat down next to Sapna and shared it with her. As I spoke to her and ate out of her box and offered her mine, the rest of the children in class, curious to know why the teacher was being especially friendly to this particular student, slowly inched forward. I called them all by name and shared my lunch as well as Sapna’s. They all seemed to visibly relax and open up to her. They started to chat with her and within minutes, became more comfortable and friendly with her. She reciprocated happily and won over her fellow classmates in no time at all.

They probably never truly understood why they should not treat her differently, but the important thing that day was that they accepted her as she was.

I don’t know what kind of impact I had on those children, but it was one of those moments which stirred me greatly and made me thank God yet again, for giving me the opportunity to be in such a wonderful profession that allowed me to mould hundreds of beautiful, young, impressionable minds. And then to watch those minds bloom, blossom and spread their fragrance of joy, innocence and exuberance.
Sayli Deshmukh

2 comments:

Kayjee said...

nice one SD, waiting for other tales..

Jitesh Mehta said...

nice and inspiring story...